Saturday 2 November 2013

Halloween Buffet

This past week was tiring. We spent all Monday and Tuesday making and finishing not only our desserts, but also any additional products required for our action stations. And in the middle of this, I was working on another special project which, unfortunately, didn't work and couldn't be included in the buffet. :( On the bright side, we got in specially ordered black chef jackets and paired them with bright orange neck ties. We looked good!


The buffet itself was quite successful! We set up a few tables just at the entrance to the 4Nines cafeteria. When potential customers rounded the corner, a few of us would greet them and draw their attention to the buffet and its plethora of enticing delights.


The chocolate class made us a super awesome chocolate show piece.


Beside the buffet was the ice cream action station. Little hotel pans of ice cream were kept cold by placing them into a block of ice. A pretty cool idea for keeping ice cream nice and cold.


The cotton candy and deep fry station were inside the Marketplace. Despite the success of the buffet, these stations were neglected by the lunch crowd. It was too bad especially because the cotton candy was wound around puff pastry filled with either raspberry jam or cinnamon and sugar. Such a tasty combination!


We only did one buffet but I was beat! I can't imagine doing a buffet every single day like many hotels. I won't say I'll never try working at a hotel, there are lots of different kinds of jobs there afterall, but buffet work is definitely not on the top of my list right now. :P

Oh yes, I never explained what this extra project I was working on was, did I? I was attempting to recreate a dessert from a famous restaurant in Chicago. It is a piece of taffy that is filled with helium, making it float just like a real balloon! You can see a youtube video of the dessert in action here. Unfortunately, I never did get the formula just right and the restaurant never replied to my inquiries. Either way, it was a lot of fun to experiment and I was so happy our Chef was willing to go out and buy us a tank of helium. We don't always get a lot of creative freedom in this program, but when we do, we gotta run with it!

Next up, bread sculptures!

No comments:

Post a Comment