Friday 21 November 2014

Baking in Picton


Hello beautiful South Island! Every person we talked to from the North would tell us the South Island is way more beautiful and awesome. It is definitely less populated, which contributes to a lot more natural beauty.

We've been in Picton for three weeks now! Picton is a little port town where most of the inter island ferries land. Small, but charming.

Pretty cool mini golf course

On most days, BF and I try to get out and simply walk around randomly. There are a lot of beautiful home gardens here and there, and of course, there is always the view of the blue harbour and the green mountains surrounding us.

In the south, a beach is called a foreshore

I have been working a small but busy bakery called the Picton Village Bakkerij. They make real sourdough and pain au levain and all sorts of delicious goodies! Most mornings I take the breads and buns and set them all up for the display case. One of my secret pleasures is feeling the soft fluffy buns.


I have to admit, its been tough getting back into the swing of a commercial kitchen. I still have that awkward which-way-are-you-going dance with my coworkers sometimes and I have been making some pretty basic mistakes (my batter is a mixed up but I haven't set up my pans!). But it has been an amazing learning experience. I have never worked in a kitchen that has paid so much attention to what I am doing and actively demonstrating better methods. I am actually a bit sad that my stint here will be so short, but I know I will emerge a much improved baker. :)

Top to bottom: savoury breads, sweet breads,
and then bars and slices
Fruit tart
Lemon filled brioche doughnuts

My day usually starts at 2am where I begin packing items away for the Blenheim shop (we bake for both stores) while also setting up the bread display. I then move onto filling up the display case with the savoury and sweet breads, glazing and finishing them. After, I cut and fill the doughnuts. When everything that needs to be put out for the day is done, I then start baking or finishing items that need to be restocked like bars, cookies, or tarts. Some days I start at 9pm and on those days I help a lot more with the savoury breads.

Kiwis LOVE their cream

As the Christmas season is approaching, we've started making mince tarts.


And gingerbread men. :)

I like giving them all a bit of individuality

I even got to write for a cake which I haven't done in 2 years! Turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.


Of course, the money makers are the pies! But you know what? I never even thought to take a picture of the pies. But trust me when I say they're pretty darn good!

While hopping around the country from one Help Exchange to another was a lot of fun, I am definitely a creature of routine. I am really enjoying having a regular schedule and cooking our own food. And best of all, baking!! But who knows, maybe the travel bug will bite me again in three months time. :)


What about you? Do you prefer the security of a set routine or do you prefer to play life by the ear?

3 comments:

  1. Very nice baking Jamie. Congrats. I am glad u r enjoying it. Luv your stories. Hugs and kisses to u and Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice baking Jamie. Congrats. I am glad u r enjoying it. Luv your stories. Hugs and kisses to u and Jo

    ReplyDelete