Wednesday 21 November 2012

Pies, Pies, and More Pies!

Another jam packed day! Time moves by so quickly in class that everyone is scrambling to keep up with the material.

Yesterday was focused on getting the fillings for our apple and pumpkin pies done and to roll out the doughs for the various pies. A few of the super fast workers managed to get their apple pies baked as well.

Press the dough into the shell and trim the edges...
To make it nice and clean!

The cream pies and pumpkin pies got crimped edges. Unfortunately, a lot of the crimping got squished when we blind baked them because they were baked upside down! I had never heard of that method before. I was expecting pie weights or something similar. When blind baking a shell (baking a pie shell without filling), weights are often used to help the shell keep its shape and to help prevent the shell from bubbling. Baking upside down was interesting and eliminated the need to buy pie weights.

Crimped edges are so pretty

I didn't get a picture of my own apple pie so here's one of the Chefs'. (Also his burnt pumpkin pies in the back.)

Chef's apple pie

My group ended up staying late to finish up the meringue for our lemon meringues, but it was worth the effort. They all turned out really nicely. :) Plus, I love using the torch! Who doesn't love the smell of s'mores and playing with fire? :P

Toasted just right

Our Chef wanted each of us to make a marzipan banana to top our chocolate banana cream pies, but I didn't have the time to make one. I still think they look delicious (and they taste delicious too).

Not-too-rich chocolate banana cream pie

And finally the best part of the day - marzipan pumpkins! Aren't they cute? I thought 16 was way too many for one pie. I would have preferred three in the middle with some vine. But that's okay, I liked making the pumpkins anyway.

Life cycle of a marzipan pumpkin (left to right)
Adorable pumpkin-ness

Each classmate made 2 pies of each type of pie. That means in total, we made 4 (types of pie) * 2 (of each) * 16 (people) = 128 pies!!! Holy pies, batman!

No comments:

Post a Comment