Monday 21 January 2013

Fry'n Them 'Nuts


Friday was my last day on the quick breads station. A and I were already thinking about flavours for our next station, doughnuts, so we hadn't thought of any flavours for the scones and muffins ahead of time. We simply looked at what we had and threw everything together.

A used up the last of the mushroom cream in the scones along with some green onions, rosemary and parmesan.


I saw boxes of fresh herbs in the fridge so I grabbed a bunch, mixed it with goat cheese, sugared some walnuts and tossed it all into the muffin batter.

A dollop of herbed goat cheese, fresh thyme, and a toasted walnut

Today we started doughnuts! Who can resist a freshly fried cake doughnut tossed in cinnamon sugar? :) Of course, we didn't just do cinnamon sugar. A and I thought that that old and tired bowl of cinnamon sugar needed something spicy. Cayenne pepper it is! It didn't punch you in the face. Instead, it was a really nice warmth in the back of your mouth.

Reject doughnuts that were "tastefully" disposed of :)
Beautiful yeast doughnuts waiting to be fried to golden perfection

Now for the yeast doughnuts. That's where we got more creative. A tossed some bananas with pecans, honey, and brown sugar and carmelized the whole batch in the oven. I made up some caramel, flavoured with cinnamon and rum, and whipped up some vanilla rum whipped cream. Can you guess what our theme was?


Banana fosters!

The whipped cream was a bit boozy, but it balanced well with the sweetness of the caramel, bananas, and nuts.

Of course, I can't forget the San Francisco sourdough we made.

Actually, I did forget these in the oven...

What flavours should we do tomorrow? I really have the urge to make something with peanut butter. Peanut butter and raspberry jam? A classic combination. Peanut butter and banana cream? Perhaps too creamy? Oh! How about peanut butter and candied bacon? I like the sounds of that. And here's a hint to what flavour might also be coming out tomorrow or the day after.


I'll leave you tonight with a little fun tidbit. Did you know it only takes 50 jumps, just up and down, to stimulate bone growth, which in turn can help in the prevention of osteoporosis?

Jump on, my friends, jump on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment