Thursday 17 January 2013

Try the Mushroom Muffin, Really!


It is exciting to be back in baking mode. It's why I'm here afterall.

Once again we are working in rotations, meaning one tables makes all the rye breads, another tables makes all wheat breads, and so on. I am currently on the quick breads station. We are responsible for producing clover buns, cinnamon knots, muffins, scones, and soda bread. Those items alone are not the most exciting things to bake. But do you know what makes this class so much fun? Freedom! Our Chef gives us a lot of creative reign over what flavours we make the muffins and scones or if we want to add some orange flavour to the soda bread. Of course, we have to work within certain parameters. For example, I really wanted to make a "Blue" muffin. It would be flavoured with blueberries and blue cheese. If some people like honey and blue cheese, why not do a sweet berry with the cheese and then glaze the muffin with honey? Genius, right? Luckily for the masses of The Marketplace, the Chef reigns us in when we get a little too creative and experimental. :P

Mixing by hand, literally

My original flavour plan for Wednesday's muffins was jalapeno cheese. Nothing too far out there. But then I found out another table was using the exact same flavours for their buns. I refused to do the same thing. As such, when my blue muffin idea was shot down, I just threw various fruits into a muffin, glazed it, and topped it with fresh berries. The final flavour was candied ginger, lemon, orange, and blueberry. A safe option. Not terribly creative, but not a complete bore either.

Shiny

My awesome partner, who is part cook, sweated some onions, wilted some spinach, and threw everything together with spices and feta cheese into the scones. Absolutely wonderful!



My table mate made some lovely looking chocolate chip muffins. The Chef got her some chocolate cups that she cut up. M is definitely a cake girl and it shows in the elegance of her products.


The doughnut group got really fancy. Aren't those the fanciest doughnuts you have ever seen? They remind me of eclairs. The only downside is that you smell like fry grease afterwards.

Mini boston creams

The first day back to baking was fun, but I was determined to make a savoury muffin. Something different! While I thought about it, the image of roast beef popped into my mind. This led to mashed potatoes, which led to gravy, which finally led to mushrooms. That's it! I wanted to make a mushroom muffin! When I asked the Chef for ingredients, he thought I was crazy but decided to let me try it anyway. My awesome cook partner helped me pick out good mushrooms to use and how we could use them. This morning, when we came into the baking lab, Chef handed us a box of white mushrooms, a bag of portabellas, and a giant bag of dried mixed mushrooms. Awesome! We were pumped!

Mushroomy goodness!

We rehydrated a big handful of mushrooms in the milk being used for the muffins along with a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Infuse the goodness

The mushrooms in the milk got blended together and I also sauteed some more mushrooms to mix into the batter. We flavoured the mix with rosemary, thyme, garlic, and black pepper.

To top our muffins, we decided to rehydrate some more mushrooms in whipping cream, blend it together and whip it all up. This might sound weird but just think of mushroom soup. I added a bit of salt to the mushroom cream to make it extra savoury.


I spooned the cream on and finished it with a sprig of rosemary and a mushroom. They turned out absolutely amazing! So mushroomy and hearty. If you like mushroom soup, this is the muffin for you. And that cream just takes it to a whole new level! Chef was impressed and very eager to get his face into one. :)

While I was doing all sorts of cooking, my partner banged out more delectable scones. We saw a bag of mini marshmallows in the dry storage and were inspired to make something based on s'mores.

Chocolate and marshmallows
Oh so good

We also found a giant bucket of leftover candy. It had smarties, gummies, gum balls, and other random tid bits. We had originally wanted to make a candy scone, but the Chef squinted his eyes and said "Let's not". Haha. But across the table, M took the smarties and threw them into her muffin batter. Chocolate chip and smarties muffin, not too bad. Her decorative abilities are top notch though!

Smartie flowers

Another group broke out the blue cheese! Blue cheese and candied walnut buns. So good!


Chef is always trying to get us to use the blue cheese. He was really happy with these.

Today's mushroom success got my mind buzzing with all sorts of ideas! How about a dark chocolate and chili muffin? Or a mushroom and spinach scone with an egg cracked in the middle of it, like eggs in a basket? How about a doughnut version of bananas foster with a caramelized banana drizzled with cinnamon rum caramel? I have one ingredient in mind that I have always wanted to make work in a baked item. What is it? Well, you'll have to wait and see, and you'll know it when you see it! Or should I say, when it pops in your mouth! Creative freedom is dangerous. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment