Monday 4 February 2013

Basil So Yum


Do you have a favourite herb or spice? Something you'd put on anything? Everything? I love loooove basil. There's just something about it that makes me reach for it all the time. That's not to say I don't have a huge appreciation of other herbs as well (thyme, you are a close second), but oh basil, the stuff of herby green dreams.

Friday and today were my last days on the quick bread station. While I really liked working more with dough on the other stations, I will miss the ability of muffins and scones to be vehicles for all sorts of flavours.

Friday's flavours of the day were black forest muffins with cherries, milk chocolate, and maraschino whipped cream and pesto and parmesan scones. I knew the scones were going to be good because A's pesto is stellar, but I was surprised at how well the muffins turned out! I am not too fond of the muffin recipe we have to use (you can taste the baking powder), but A really has the talent to turn out delicious food. :)


Our line up of goodies to try. From closest to farthest: mandarin orange soda bread, cinnamon pull-apart, pesto scone, greek bun (arugula, feta and sundried tomatoes), and a black forest muffin.

A line of yum!

Today's flavours were a strawberry basil muffins and a blue cheese, candied pecan, and pear scone. If you ever feel like making ice cream, I recommend fresh mint and chocolate chip or strawberry and fresh basil. It may seem unusual to use fresh herbs, but it's delicious! Fresh herbs add a wonderful green and....herby flavour. Fresh mint is quite different from mint extract.


The basil was strong without being over-bearing and paired with the strawberries, it made for a light muffin. We garnished it with basil whipped cream and a strawberry. Love the green! (And look! Natural sunlight!)


It occurred to me that I have yet to post a picture of my own clover buns. Tadah!


Clover buns are three little balls of dough rolled and baked in a small muffin tin. Here we topped them with course sugar.

These are our cinnamon pull-aparts. Normally we roll and knot the dough but I prefer to be able to pull my buns apart. :)

Topped with pistachios, almonds, and macadamias

The lovely white bread group made taco bread today. Their secret was a packet of taco seasoning! One more thing that tastes better with basil. The box of basil had huge leaves inside!

Giant basil

A girl from that group also made this super cute mini crab bread.


I asked Chef to teach A and I how to make turtle bread tomorrow! Needless to say, I am quite excited. :)

What will our doughnut flavours be tomorrow? A has an itch for a filled doughnut. I have an itch for a root beer float doughnut! Did you know that if you use pop as the liquid in jello that it will retain some of the fizz once it has set? Try it, it's so good. Fizzy jello may or may not show up in a future post. :P

This is our last week in this class (Yeast Fundamentals) so A and I are making the most of it, squeezing out all the last bits of fun and knowledge we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment