Wednesday 6 February 2013

Root Beer Float Reincarnates as a Doughnut!


The past two days have been a blast. A and I never stop surprising the Chef with our creations. For our last two days on the doughnut station, A and I decided to do half savoury doughnuts and half sweet.

We knew right away the savoury had to contain brie. There was a giant wheel of brie in the fridge; who can resist? We saw a tub of cherry compote sitting all alone and begging to be used so we grabbed it along with a huge chunk of turkey and some thyme.


I'm not sure why the idea of a savoury doughnut seems so weird. What about the Krispy Kreme burger? I actually wanted to make a grilled cheese doughnut, haha! Chef shook his head when we told him our plan for the brie, but when he tried it, he liked it. :)

On our first day back on doughnut duty, A and I were stumped as to what sweet flavour to do. We both just stood in the fridge for 15 minutes, staring at the shelves. We were looking into different containers and moving things around when A spotted a tub of strawberry jam. For a commercial product, it was pretty decent. Then I spotted a tub of sour cream. Bingo! Strawberry sour cream it was! (Unfortunately, we found that the sour cream was previously frozen and thus, gritty. We switched to cream cheese instead. :))

Of course, this doughnut had to be a filled one with the classic and simple dusting of icing sugar on top.


Do you like root beer floats? Do you like doughnuts? If you like both, have I got the best doughnut for you! Root beer float doughnut! A root beer cream with root beer jello (that still fizzes), vanilla whipped cream, and a bright red cherry to top it all off. The class loved it!


It was funny to listen to my classmates comment with surprise that the jello "tastes like root beer". It was simply root beer with some gelatin so I would expect it to taste like root beer. :)

The doughnut station also produces, oddly enough, a batch of no-time bread. The past two days have been sourdough because we've been on an animal shaping binge. Yesterday was turtles.

Happy turtle in a house

Some of the leftover turtle dough got fried. Other bits were stuffed before frying. :)


Today was octopi and other random shapes.

Sir Ocotpus
Sam the Piggie
Round octopus

Chef's, of course, was crazy awesome. I wanted to make suction cups for mine as well, but I didn't have the time.

Devilishly cute!

Just before baking I topped Sir Oct with some seeds and olives for eyes.


I'll be spending my last two days at the rye station. The Chef wants our table to experiment with quinoa in the baguettes. He doesn't have a recipe so we have to adjust as we see fit. Tomorrow is going to be fun again, I can feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment