Tuesday 9 October 2012

Cookies Day 3, They Just Keep Coming

How was everyone's Thanksgiving weekend? Was it fun? Did you chow down on some good eats? My boyfriend came to visit and we inhaled a large Chicago deep dish pizza. Have you seen those things? The entire pizza is almost 2 inches in height and since it's square, you get more than a regular round pizza. We then washed it all down with bubble tea. 100% satisfying. Yolo!

You may have noticed there was no post last Friday. Due to some poor time management, I ended up forgetting my phone in my room as I ran to class. The lab ended up being so busy no one had time to take photos anyway.

The big monster of Friday was lange du chat, or cat's tongue. Cat's tongue are very thin and long cookies that are usually filled. If you've had Pepperidge Farm's Milano cookies, then you've had a cat's tongue. If you haven't, buy them. Right now. Let's say it's for educational purposes. :) Why was it such a monster? Consistency! It was amazingly difficult to pipe the cookie out perfectly. The slightest wiggle while piping was magnified once baked. It didn't help that we had so much batter that we ended up with well over 6 trays with around 25-30 cookies each. For a small cookie, it was very time consuming.

Filled with raspberry buttercream

We also made spritz cookies. Spritz cookies are almond cookies accented with a dot of jam. These are my favourite cookies of the lineup. They are soft with a wonderful aromatic almond flavour and the jam adds just a little chew and fruity touch.

Spritz dipped in chocolate

After class, I made sure to snag one of the brownies I had made and a box of chocolates made by the second year BPA students. On Sait's campus, there is a little store called The Marketplace where some of our products go to be sold (the other half goes to the downtown campus). Here, the products are very cheap for the quality you get. It's a great place to get meat, actually. It was probably because of the long weekend, but it was super busy! To see people buying something you made is pretty exciting though. :)

Super fudgey brownie and a lovely box of chocolates

Today we got to ice our roll out cookies. I wanted so badly to make a tray of garlic cookies but the tray reserved for that ended up burning. So sad! Garlic cookies would've been a hit, right?

That burn on the table may or may not have been my fault...

We also ended up with a disaster batch of white chocolate chip cookies. The scooped dough must have been too warm when I put them in the oven. They still tasted great! I actually liked the range of textures in those cookies - crispy edges and a chewy centre. I don't know what the ultimate fate of those cookies were but I hope it wasn't the garbage.

A delicious disaster!

Tomorrow is the dreaded day 4. I say that because once again, we will be tackling the lange du chat. Gotta buckle down and perfect those suckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment