Wednesday 3 October 2012

Puff Pastry Test Day and Hillhurst Harvest Festival

Tension was in the air. Our first practical test. The entire class was a bit nervous because we weren't sure what to expect. It felt like a race in the beginning. We all gathered at our stations and waited impatiently. As soon as the chef shouted "Start!", everyone rushed around to gather ingredients and equipment.

It was actually a nice change of pace. We know the routine and what we need to do, we just need to put everything together. For the puff pastry exam, we had to present one pithivier, six sausage rolls, and six napoleon slices. Here's my platter of puffy delights. How did I do? Let's just say, very well. :)


Despite how well I did, I still felt that my napoleon slices were leaning too much and the signature lines in the fondant didn't flow as well as in my previous attempts. Due to a bit of a mishap when whipping some cream, our filling had less gelatin in it than it should have and the whole group had issues with the filling squishing out as we cut the napoleon into portions. Still have lots to improve on!

Napoleon trimmings, how will I live without you?
I'll actually have to bring lunch now!

After class I strolled down to Hillhurst's Harvest Festival, Hillhurt's last outdoor farmer's market for the year. There were some entertaining categories such as most pathetic vegetable, largest tomato, largest sunflower, and oddest shaped vegetable.

Largest tomato at 2.2 lb!
Heart shaped potatoes
Most pathetic vegetable
A table full of tomatoes vying for best cherry tomato
There was even a category for children to make vegetable sculptures. I rather liked this one, but all of them were really creative and fun!

Random vegetable creation in the children's category
Love the hair!

I'll be on the cookie station starting tomorrow. Honestly, I'm a bit nervous to start a new routine. We have to re-orientate ourselves all over again with new procedures and recipes. But you know what's one of the best things to say at times like these?

Adventure time! :)

1 comment: