Monday 1 October 2012

Puff Pastry Day 3

My second last day on the puff pastry station. Today's tasks were a repeat of the first day meaning we were making our own puff pastry dough while using commercial puff pastry to make napoleons and sausage rolls.

On our first day, we used some pretty old commercial puff pastry and, well, you could taste it. :P But today we cracked open a new box and what a difference! Not only did it taste a lot better, the color was more of a pale yellow, and wow, did the final products puff up a lot. As a result, a lot of my sausage rolls exploded while baking. You can see the girls in my group sorting through the sausage rolls below. The ugly ones got separated out. I wonder what will happen to them...I mean, the ones that didn't get eaten by passing by classmates.
This one's a pass! That one down there, not so much.
There wasn't much to take a picture of today (read: I keep forgetting to take pictures). This is my puff pastry ready to go through the sheeter for its final turn! I've finally started getting the hang of keeping my dough more or less rectangular. The previous try kept insisting on being round.

Stay rectangular!
Here's a fuzzy shot of some unbaked chocolate ganache tarts the tarts station turned out today. I'm excited to go to that station. Aren't these cute?


We also prepared a double batch of pastry cream today in preparation for exam day. Every fifth day, we get tested on the skills we've learned. I hope my second try at puff pastry will give me awesome results!


No comments:

Post a Comment