Friday 19 October 2012

Water Fast Day 4

Some more cute photos of finds in the Marketplace for your eyes.

Halloween decorations
I will never know what that blue one is

This morning started out similar to the previous mornings but I only needed 8 hours of sleep versus yesterday's 10. As I walked across campus, my calves cramped up and continued to be sore for the rest of the day. Annoying, but bearable. One tip: stretching is a very good idea while water fasting.

The day went by fairly quickly and with little incident other than some minor food cravings here and there. Today I sat beside friends as they ate their (good smelling) lunches and while I enjoyed the smell, I didn't have a terrible urge to lunge at them from over the table and devour their food (and their fingers if they got in the way). Wouldn't that make a fun news title: Water Fast Ends Due to Tragedy - Faster Eats Friend. :)

My tongue started out fairly white in the morning and gradually became pinker and my cheeks were about as smooth as they were yesterday night.

I have not noticed any other changes other than bad breath. I was told I smell like ammonia. :/

I started pondering whether I have gotten over my fear of hunger yet. I have already gone 4 whole days without any food whatsoever, but I'm not sure I am. That may sound silly but I think that if I stopped the fast now, I would eventually go back to my bad eating habits. I am a terrible mindless eater and that is a major habit I want to solve. One experience I read about described a day in which the blogger's mind suddenly had a switch in thoughts. She no longer craved the junk food she had during the previous days, but now only wished for whole foods. That is when she decided to break her fast. I am hoping to have a similar experience which will signify to me that I have achieved my goals on this fast.

Summary
Water drank: about 2 litres
Weight change: -3.0 lbs
Total weight change: -5.6 lbs
Overall feeling: Pretty much the same as yesterday but with a bit more energy and milder food desires.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it made me laugh.

Worn by my female classmate

2 comments:

  1. Interesting...I never thought about water fasting. I wonder about the detox effects because without enough liquid, don't your kidneys effectively shutdown causing you to build up daily toxins (not the ones stored in fat) to build up in your blood stream?

    I get what you're saying about being disconnected from hunger though. Been thinking about that a lot recently too (working at Google means you have far too much food access). Been playing with a combination of eating based on hunger rather than time, stopping before being "full", and actually doing harder physical exercise. The last one in particular seems to make me want to avoid junk food. Something about getting the cardio up, but too up, makes french fries and processed food sound terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Your body needs water to perform pretty much every action it needs to function so without water, your body can't eliminate toxins and it ends up building up inside you. You'd have to be pretty dehydrated to have your kidney shut down though. You'd probably feel nauseous before that or some other symptom will surface before that.

      It's great that you're striving for healthier living. Being mindful of your eating is one of the first steps to a healthier eating style. Most people these days eat way more than they need to without realizing it or because society says that's how much they should eat. I find that the more whole heartedly one moves towards making better choices, the easier it becomes to make those better choices in the first place. I found that as I ate more and more vegetables, those vegetables became the foods I craved the most. Keep up the great work and let me know how it goes! :D

      Delete